Department: O’Fallon, MO Distribution Center
Job Title: Distribution Center Sales Specialist
Organizational Relationship: Reports to the O’Fallon Distribution Center Manager, in his absence reports to the Assistant Manager
Major Goals and Responsibilities:
To service customers in the selection and loading of all purchases
To unload all deliveries of stock in a timely fashion
To care for all plant material and maintain it in saleable condition
To present a proper and professional image to customers
To work in conjunction and cooperation with other Sales Specialists and ODC staff in order to maximize sales and cost efficiencies
To manage people and projects at the direction of the Manager in the normal course of daily operations
Assist the Manager in maintaining proper inventory levels
Keep inventory as accurate as possible
• Must possess plant identification skills and have a working knowledge of specific plant growth characteristics.
• 1 year of customer service or sales related work.
• Experience operating Bobcat loaders or similar equipment
• Good time management skills
• Good people management skills
• Physically able to perform tasks associated with the job
• Laborers *
* as required or requested by the Manager
Primary People Contacts:
• Truck drivers
• To engage customers using the 4-step sales process, and to build strong professional relationships with those customers.
• To assist customers in the selection and loading of material and doing so in a timely fashion. *Dress Code: Boots must be in good repair and cover the ankle. Clean pants with no holes. Shorts are acceptable during the summer months if of reasonable length
• To keep accurate counts of material being loaded for invoicing purposes.
• To present a positive and professional image to O’Fallon Distribution Center customers through proper dress, appearance, attitude and language.
• Perform occasional follow ups with customers to assure all is going well
• To maintain the cultural integrity and salability of plant material through proper and timely weeding, spacing, fertilizing, shading, trimming, potting, shifting, re-burlapping, watering (look for and clean out any clogged irrigation heads), heeling and winterizing, all at the direction of the Distribution Center Manager
• Watch for insects and diseases
• Responsible for cleanliness and operation of container yard
• Responsible for proper operation of the irrigation in the container yard
make sure all heads are spinning properly, and check for leaks
• Check for and report any damages or leaks in the irrigation lines that need to be addressed and repair as necessary
• Must be able to set up and run the irrigation using the controller
• Know how to fill and drain the irrigation system
• Know how to run the irrigation system with the PTO pump
• Make sure the system comes on and is running properly before leaving each day
• Be available, when assigned, for weekend watering
• Assist the O.D.C. Manager in the training of new employees covering customer service, plant care, receiving procedures, irrigation maintenance and repair, and equipment operation.
• Maintain a clean and safe work environment
• Be available, when assigned, for weekend watering duties
• Report all safety hazards to O.D.C. Manager
• Follow all policies and rules of Home Nursery, Inc
• Participate as a conscientious member of the Home Nursery team and perform any other activities pertaining to the purpose and operation of the O’Fallon Distribution Center as deemed necessary by the O.D.C. Manger.
• Do weekly cycle counts and give numbers to the Admin. Assistant
• Do end of year counts of entire inventory at the end of June and December and give counts to the Admin. Assistant
• Responsible for getting all purchased plants tagged upon their arrival
• Responsible for counting, analyzing and filling out all paperwork for delivered materials, checking for shortages and quality problems and to report those problems in accordance with proper receiving procedure
• Make sure all container plants are being put in their proper places
• Make sure all plants coming in have the proper tags on them
• Act as a backup to the Administrative Assistant regarding invoicing, closeout, inventory adjustments, and answering phone calls
Toughest Parts of the Job:
• Dealing with an influx of customers and/or deliveries
• Working in inclement weather
• Starting, stopping, and restarting projects
• Training Laborers in the proper performance of their job
• Annual evaluations
• Informal reviews conducted daily/weekly
Send resume to:
Home Nursery, Inc.
Attn: Jeff Van Buren
PO Box 128
Albers, IL 62215